Many people consider lima beans (also known as butter beans) boring, but here's a way to make lima beans curry that will spruce up this usually ignored vegetable. When combined with whole grains such as rice, lima beans provide virtually fat-free high quality protein and a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. Watch this how to video to learn how to prepare Indian style lima bean curry.
Frozen Lima Beans – 16oz packet (washed)
Oil – 4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
Asafetida(Hing) – pinch
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
Onion – 1 small (chopped finely)
Green Chili – 1 (finely chopped – optional)
Ginger – 1 tsp (finely grated)
Garlic – 3 cloves (finely chopped)
Tomato Sauce – 8oz can
Red Chili Powder – ¼ tsp (to taste)
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
Salt – 1 tsp (to taste)
Water – 1 cup
Cilantro Leaves – 5 sprigs (chopped for garnishing)
1. Heat Oil in a pressure cooker or pressure pan on medium heat.
2. Once Oil is hot, add Cumin Seeds and Mustard Seeds and allow them to sputter.
3. Add Asafetida and Turmeric Powder, then the Onions, Green Chili, Ginger and Garlic.
4. Cook until Onions are light brown.
5. Stir in Tomato Sauce and cook until oil starts to separate.
6. Add Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder, Garam Masala, Cumin Powder, and Salt. Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
7. Mix in Lima Beans and Water.
8. Pressure cook for 1 whistle and turn off heat.
9. Once pressure is gone from the cooker, remove lid and adjust water, salt or other masalas.
10. Garnish with cilantro and serve with Rice or Chapattis.
11. Serves 3-4.
1. If you don't have a pressure cooker, Lima Beans can be cooked in a microwave with ½ cup of water, salt and turmeric powder. Prepare the Onion and Tomato Sauce mixture in a separate non-stick pan and mix in cooked Lima Beans.
2. For those of you who enjoy a tangier flavor, Lime/Lemon Juice can also be added at the end.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.