It's easy to make a peck of pickled peppers – or any other vegetable – with this basic recipe.
You Will Need
* 3-4 lbs. beets, cucumbers, carrots, asparagus, bell peppers, or green bean
* A large, oven-safe, lidded pot
* Four one-pint canning jars
* A boiling-water canner
* A large saucepan
* 2 1/4 c. distilled vinegar with at least 5% acetic acid sometimes labeled "
* 2 c. water
* 1/2 c. sugar
* 1 tbsp. kosher salt
* 1/2 tsp. whole allspice
* 1 tsp. mustard seeds
* Five shallots, peeled and chopped
* Four bay leaves
* A clean, damp cloth
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash the vegetables, add them to the ovenproof pot with one-half inch of water, cover, and roast them until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Check canning jars for cracks and chips, then sterilize them, along with their lids, according to your canner's directions. After they're sterilized, fill them with hot water to keep them warm.
When the vegetables are cool enough to handle, trim the ends, peel off any skin, and cut them into slices about one-quarter inch thick.
Combine vinegar, water, sugar, salt, allspice, and mustard seeds in a large saucepan and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring until the sugar and salt are dissolved.
Vary the spices according to the vegetable and your personal taste.
Fill each jar with the vegetables, shallots, and one bay leaf, and then add the hot pickling liquid, leaving a quarter inch of space at the top. Wipe the jar rims with a clean, damp cloth.
Attach the lids and screw bands, place the jars in your canner, add enough water to cover the jars by two inches, bring to boil, and lower the heat to a gentle boil for 10 minutes.
If the water level falls to the top of the jars, add more boiling water.
Store jars in a cool, dark place for up to one year.
Enjoy your pickled produce with hot dogs, sandwiches, salads, or just by itself!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades