Sarah East from Grocery School gives a lesson on how to buy fresh asparagus. Look for straight, firm stalks with dark green or purple tips. It is best to choose stalks the same size so they will cook uniformly, though the size does not affect the flavor.
White asparagus is just asparagus that has not been in sunlight. The flavor is milder and it is a bit more tender. It also costs more.
After purchasing asparagus you should use it within two or three days. Wrap it in moist paper towels and store in the refrigerator to keep it fresh.
Just before cooking, hold the spear by both ends and gently bend it, and it will snap in half near the base. Throw away the lower half and just use the top.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades