In this video by Maangchi, learn how to make an authentic spicy kimchi. To make this recipe you will need the following ingredients: Baechu (napa cabbage 10 lbs), salt, sweet rice flour, sugar, water, garlic, ginger, onion, fish sauce, squid, hot pepper flakes, leek, green onions, carrot, & radish.
1. Trim the discolored outer leaves of 10 pounds of napa cabbage.
2. Cut the cabbage lengthwise into quarters & remove the cores. Chop it up into pieces.
3. Soak the pieces of cabbage in cold water and put the soaked cabbage into a large basin. Sprinkle salt.
4. Every 30 minutes, turn the cabbage over to salt evenly (total salting time will be 1 & 1/2 hours).
5. 1 & 1/2 hours later, rinse the cabbage in cold water 3 times to clean it thoroughly.
6. Drain the cabbage & set aside.
1. Put 3 cups of water & ½ cup sweet rice flour (chapssal garu) in a pot and mix it well & bring to a boil. Keep stirring until the porridge makes bubbles (about 5 min).
2. Add ¼ cup sugar. Stir & cook for a few more mintues until it's translucent.
3. Cool it down.
Make kimchi paste:
1. Place the cold porridge into a large bowl. Now you will add all your ingredients.
2. Add 1 cup of fish sauce, 2.5 cups of hot pepper flakes (depending on your taste), 1 cup of crushed garlic, 1-2 tbs of minced ginger, 1 cup amount of minced onion.
3. Wash & drain the salty squid. Chop it up & add it to the kimchi paste.
4. Add 10 diagonally-sliced green onions, 2 cups amount of chopped leek, 2 cups of julienned Korean radish, & ¼ cup of julienned carrot.
5. Mix all ingredients well & your kimchi paste is done.
Mix the cabbage with the kimchi paste:
1. Put the kimchi paste in a large basin & add all the cabbage. Mix by hand.
2. Put the kimchi into an air tight sealed plastic container.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.