In this video by Maangchi, learn how to make an authentic spicy kimchi. To make this recipe you will need the following ingredients: Baechu (napa cabbage 10 lbs), salt, sweet rice flour, sugar, water, garlic, ginger, onion, fish sauce, squid, hot pepper flakes, leek, green onions, carrot, & radish.
1. Trim the discolored outer leaves of 10 pounds of napa cabbage.
2. Cut the cabbage lengthwise into quarters & remove the cores. Chop it up into pieces.
3. Soak the pieces of cabbage in cold water and put the soaked cabbage into a large basin. Sprinkle salt.
4. Every 30 minutes, turn the cabbage over to salt evenly (total salting time will be 1 & 1/2 hours).
5. 1 & 1/2 hours later, rinse the cabbage in cold water 3 times to clean it thoroughly.
6. Drain the cabbage & set aside.
1. Put 3 cups of water & ½ cup sweet rice flour (chapssal garu) in a pot and mix it well & bring to a boil. Keep stirring until the porridge makes bubbles (about 5 min).
2. Add ¼ cup sugar. Stir & cook for a few more mintues until it's translucent.
3. Cool it down.
Make kimchi paste:
1. Place the cold porridge into a large bowl. Now you will add all your ingredients.
2. Add 1 cup of fish sauce, 2.5 cups of hot pepper flakes (depending on your taste), 1 cup of crushed garlic, 1-2 tbs of minced ginger, 1 cup amount of minced onion.
3. Wash & drain the salty squid. Chop it up & add it to the kimchi paste.
4. Add 10 diagonally-sliced green onions, 2 cups amount of chopped leek, 2 cups of julienned Korean radish, & ¼ cup of julienned carrot.
5. Mix all ingredients well & your kimchi paste is done.
Mix the cabbage with the kimchi paste:
1. Put the kimchi paste in a large basin & add all the cabbage. Mix by hand.
2. Put the kimchi into an air tight sealed plastic container.
Start your career in Graphic Design with the WonderHowTo's Beginners’s Guide to Photoshop Course