How to Make Indian brussels sprout subzi
Anuja and Hetal of Show Me The Curry demonstrate how to make an Indian vegetarian dish called Brussels Sprouts Subzi.
First, they show the required ingredients:
1lb Brussels Sprouts
1/2tsp Mustard Seeds
14tsp Fenugreek Seeds
1tsp Urad Dal
A few curry leaves
1/4tsp Turmeric Powder
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
Salt, to taste
Red Chili Powder, to taste
2tsp Sambar Powder
1/2tsp Tamarind Paste
1/2 cup or 4oz Tomato Sauce
1. They suggest Brussels sprouts around the same size; pull off the top leaves and rinse dirt if needed. Cut in quarters.
2. Heat oil in a medium skillet on medium heat.
3. Add mustard seeds and allow them to pop.
4. Add fenugreek seeds and urad daal.
5. Once urad dal is light golden, add asafoetida, turmeric, curry, onions, and tomatoes. Mix. Cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add salt, chili powder, and sambar. Mix.
7. Once onions are coated, add 1/2 can tomato sauce and tamarind paste. Mix.
8. Allow to come to a boil. Taste. Add Brussels sprouts. Mix.
9. Now cover and allow to cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not overcook.
10. If it appears dry, sprinkle a little water and mix.
They stir one final time, and mention that they cooked them for a little longer than the 10-12 minutes because they were very big.