A purée is a great side dish for any dinnertime meal, because it's a healthy and creamy substance from fruit or vegetables. In this video recipe, you'll learn a vegetable variety, full of butternut squash.
See how to easily turn a whole butternut squash into a homey, flavorful side dish. Steamed squash is puréed with brown sugar, milk, butter and zingy ginger to perfectly enhance the squash's natural sweetness. This creamy side dish is a delicious accompaniment to any main course.
* 1 butternut squash
* 1/3 cup milk
* 1/3 cup light brown sugar
* 1 tsp ground ginger
* 1 tbsp butter
* salt & pepper to taste
* vegetable peeler
* food processor
1. Peel butternut squash with a vegetable peeler
2. Cut into rustic chunks (remove seeds). The smaller your chunks, the faster the squash will cook
3. Steam squash until fork tender, about 25 minutes. (You can also boil the squash in a saucepan with enough water to cover, on medium-high, which will take about 25-30 minutes)
4. Add cooked squash and rest of ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth
5. Adjust seasoning to your taste if needed
Note: You can steam and puree JUST the squash ahead of time and freeze. Then defrost, heat in the microwave and add the remaining ingredients. A good "do ahead" for the holidays.