If you're not a vegetarian, but one of your family members is, or perhaps a dinner guest, you're going to have to give in a little. Realize that they eat vegetables, you eat vegetables, so it's not that big of deal to exclude the meat for one sitting. Something easy to make is something common, that everyone eats, like pizza or a taco! Exclude the beef base and keep the veggies.
Nutrition instructor Todd Seyfarth substitutes ground beef with bulgar wheat to create a flavor-packed, nutritional dinner option. When cooked similarly to taco meat with bold Southwestern seasonings, bulgar yields the look and similar texture to ground beef. Todd mounds the taco with avocado and salsa and demonstrates an easy low-fat sour cream and roasted red pepper topping.
* 1 cup bulgar wheat
* 1 cup water (have more ready if needed)
* 3 tbsp taco seasoning (store-bought or if making your own, grind equal parts pink peppercorn, chile powder, cumin seed & coriander)
* 4 multigrain tortillas
Roasted Red Pepper Sour Cream
* 1 red bell pepper, roasted
* ¾ cup low-fat sour cream
* fresh lime juice
* avocado, red onion & romaine lettuce
* fresh lime juice & cilantro leaves
* salsa or diced tomatoes
* sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350º
2. Toast bulgar wheat in sauté pan over medium heat, 3-5 minutes, swirling the pan often to assure even toasting. Watch to prevent burning
3. Roast pepper on a baking sheet at 350º for 45 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool
4. Mix 3 tbsp taco seasoning with 1 cup of water and add to the toasted bulgar. Cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste at 3 minutes for doneness. If water has evaporated and the bulgar is still hard, add ¼ - ½ cup more water
5. Meanwhile, puree roasted red pepper in food processor. Fold puree into sour cream and mix in lime juice
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.