Seasoned urad daal aka sukhi (dry) daal is a very unusual dal so think outside the box and give it a try. Just another fantastic and tasty way of getting your share of proteins. Watch this how-to video to get the recipe and instructions on how to make urad dal.
Urad Daal - 1 cup
Oil - 2 tbsp
Water - 1.25 cup
Garlic - 2 cloves
Ginger - 1? pc.
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Red Chili Powder - to taste
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Onion - 1/2 medium (finely sliced)
Green Chili - to taste
Lime Juice - for garnish
1. Wash and soak the urad daal for an hour and keep aside.
2. Pour in 1 tsp of the oil in a pressure cooker and allow it to heat on medium flame.
3. Meanwhile combine the dry spices (turmeric, coriander, cumin, red chili) in a bowl.
4. Add in 2 tbsps of water and mix and keep aside.
5. Once the oil is hot, add in the ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
6. Add in the spice paste (from step 4) and cook for another 30 seconds.
7. Add in the pre-soaked and drained urad daal to the cooker.
8. Add in the water and some salt, mix.
9. Close the cooker and give it 2 whistles and take it off the flame.
10. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a pan on medium heat.
11. Add in the sliced onions and cook till they turn golden brown.
12. Take them out and set them aside on a paper-towel. Allow them to crisp (do not cover).
13. In the same pan, add in the balance of the oil.
14. Put in the cumin seeds and allow them to splutter and then add in the green chili.
15. Give it a 10 second roast and turn off the flame.
16. Check on the pressure cooker and make sure it is safe to open.
17. The daal should be soft and the water absorbed by the daal.
18. Heat cumin and green chilies again and add the daal to the pan.
19. Mix well till it is hot all the way through.
20. Serve and garnish with lime juice, fried onions and cilantro.