Aloo methi, or potatoes with fenugreek leaves, is a fragrant and flavorful Indian dish with a unique taste. Fenugreek leaves are well known for their many medicinal properties and are a great alternative to spinach as a leafy green vegetable. Watch this how to video and try this wonderful recipe. Turn your plain Jane potatoes into something delicious and healthy with fenugreek leaves.
Potatoes - 4 medium, peeled and cubed
Fenugreek Leaves - 1 bunch fresh or 1/2 pkt frozen
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Onion - 1 small, finely chopped
Garlic - 3 cloves, finely chopped
Green Chilies - to taste, finely chopped
Coriander Powder - 1/2 Tbsp
Red Chili Powder - to taste
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Tomato - 1 medium, chopped
1. Wash fenugreek leaves well (2 to 3 times) in a tub of water and chop.
2. Place leaves in a medium bowl and sprinkle salt on them. Mix well and keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a medium pan.
4. Add onions, green chilies and garlic. Mix well and cook until onions are translucent (approx 3 minutes).
5. Add potatoes and Salt, mix well and cook 7 -10 minutes (until potatoes are almost cooked).
6. Squeeze out all the water from the fenugreek leaves and add it to the potatoes. Mix well.
7. Add coriander powder, red chili powder and turmeric powder. Mix well, cover and cook for approx 5 minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked.
8. Turn off stove and add tomatoes. Mix well, cover and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Have an iPhone? Check out all 200+ new features coming in iOS 13.