Sprouted mung curry is such a simple and easy to make recipe with a wonderful, unique coconut flavor. This Konkani (region in India) dish is one that you will remember for a long time. Watch this how to video and learn how to make sprouted mung curry Indian style.
Mung beans - 1 cup (dry)= 4 cups (sprouted)
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Peppercorns - 20 or to taste
Coriander Seeds - 2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chili - 5 or to taste
Shredded Coconut - 1 cup
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Onion - 1 med, chopped
Tomatoes - 2 med, chopped
Water - 2.5 cups (approx)
Curry Leaves - few
Salt - to taste
Cilantro - for garnish
Lime/Lemon Juice - to taste
1. Heat 1 tsp of the Oil in a skillet on medium heat.
2. Add in the mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
3. Add in the fenugreek seeds, peppercorn and the coriander seeds.
4. Give it a 30-40 second roast and add in the dry red chilies.
5. Constantly stir and cook till the spices give out a nice aroma and the chilies turn a darker color.
6. Add in the shredded coconut and keep stirring till the coconut dries up.
7. Put all of the above in the blender and keep aside.
8. In the same pan/skillet, pour the balance of the oil. Allow it to heat up.
9. Add in the Asafoetida and the yurmeric powder and then the Onions.
10. Cook till the onions turn golden.
11. Combine this in the blender with coconut mixture.
12. Blend while pouring in the water little at a time to make a smooth paste.
13. In a pressure cooker, add in the sprouted mung, ground coconut/onion mixture, balance of the water, curry leaves, salt and tomatoes. Mix well.
14. Close cooker and allow it to whistle 1 time.
15. Carefully release the pressure from the pressure cooker after 2-3 minutes by running cold water over the lid (in the sink) to avoid over-cooking.
16. Garnish with lemon/lime juice and cilantro and it is ready to serve.
17. Serve hot with Rice or Chapatis, serve
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.