How to Cook Indian potatoes in a creamy yogurt sauce
This recipe for potatoes in a creamy yogurt sauce is just perfect for those times when you haven't had a chance to get to the grocery store for fresh vegetables. The hardest part out of the entire recipe is boiling the potatoes. With the red of the tomatoes in the gravy and the green of the cilantro garnish, it is a visual treat. Watch this how to video to learn how to cook Indian style potatoes in a creamy yogurt sauce. This potato dish is also commonly known as dahi wale aloo.
Ingredients for dahi wale aloo:
Potatoes – 4 medium (boiled and cubed)
Oil – 4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Asofoetida (Hing) – pinch
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Green Chilies – 1 to 2 to taste (chopped finely)
Ginger – 1 tsp (finely grated)
Garlic – 3 cloves (finely chopped)
Tomatoes – 14.5oz can diced tomatoes or medium (diced)
Dhaniya Powder – 1 tbsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder – ½ tsp (to taste)
Paprika – ½ tsp
Salt – 1 tsp (to taste)
Yogurt – 1 ½ cups (well beaten)
Cilantro – finely chopped, for garnish
1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat.
2. Add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle.
3. Add asofoetida, turmeric powder, curry leaves, green chilies, ginger and garlic – allow to cook for 1 minute.
4. Add tomatoes, stir and cook for 3-4 minutes until tomatoes are soft.
5. Add dhaniya powder, garam masala, red chili powder, paprika and salt – stir and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add yogurt and cook while continuously stirring for 3-4 minutes.
7. Add potatoes, stir and allow mixture to boil.
8. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with pooris, chappatis, spinach paranthas or rice.
9. Serves 4-5
1. Canned diced tomatoes may be used in place of fresh for a deeper red color.
2. Water or milk (1/2 cup) may be added if potato gravy is too thick or Yogurt is too sour.