This is the perfect dinner meal. Gratin. You can't go wrong with gratin, especially when it involves a little broccoli and cauliflower, so try out this video recipe for cauliflower and broccoli gratin.
This rustic recipe is brought straight from Italy by chef Benedetta Vitali of Florence's reknowned Zibibbo Trattoria. With Jody Adams of Rialto on hand, Benedetta assembles cauliflower and broccoli mixed with a Parmesan béchemel sauce. Topped with extra cheese for a crispy golden crust, this bubbly gratin will be pleasing to choosy, young palates (and they'll never know they're actually eating a large portion of vegetables...shhh!).
1. Preheat oven to 350º
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and salt liberally
3. Blanch cauliflower and broccoli 15 minutes, or until very soft
4. With a slotted spoon, remove vegetables to cutting board and chop in fine pieces
5. Reserve 2 cups of vegetable cooking water,* and place in small saucepan over medium heat with whole milk
6. In separate medium saucepan over medium heat, start the roux for the béchamel by melting butter. Add flour and whisk vigorously until blended, but do not allow the roux to brown. When the milk and vegetable water mixture begin to bubble, slowly pour into roux, whisking constantly
7. Continue to cook béchamel 1-2 minutes until it is the consistency of yogurt, but not allowing it to get too thick. Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg, salt, pepper and 2 cups Parmesan cheese
8. Mix vegetables and béchamel, then spread in two 9"x 11" baking dishes, bake 15-20 minutes. During the last 3 minutes of baking, sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese, and turn the oven up to broil. This will form a delicious and bubbly top
9. This gratin is best when allowed to sit and cool, then reheated. This allows it to solidify. If you cannot wait to allow it to cool, the gratin is still delicious when served immediately!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.